Frequently Asked Questions

I’m an arts organization or museum and I want to start a creative aging program…

There are a couple of things you can do!

First, check out these toolkits from a variety of creative aging experts that can help you design and implement a program. If you are interested in further training, please feel free to reach out the NCCA. We will be happy to discuss ways we can support you or help find others who can!

Looking for inspiration? Go to our Creative Aging Directory, which features arts and aging programs from across the U.S. serving a variety of people in different setting.

You can also reach out to your state arts agency staff member responsible for creative aging listed on the Find an Arts Agency Page

Where do I find funding? 

Creative aging programs can be funded in a variety of ways, including individuals donations, corporate donations, snd grants from government agencies and foundations. We recommend exploring federal and state grants that exist in the intersection between arts and aging. For inspiration on what’s been awarded by the National Endowment for the Arts, check out their grants database. Other federal funding resources include the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Finally, the Foundation Center is a great place to start in your quest for funding. Not only do they have an extensive database of grantmakers, they also have tools for creating proposals.

Have a resource or funding opportunity that you would like the field to know about it? Let us know at!

I am an artist and I want to work in the field of creative aging…

We are delighted that you want to work in this field. Training is important for this work. Go to your state arts agency first to see if they are providing any training. If not, go to NCCA’s free online-teaching artist training and check NCCA’s creative aging partners under Resources to see if they have any upcoming trainings.  They all offer a variety of trainings throughout the year and may have what you are looking for.  Can’t find what you need? Then give NCCA a call at 202-895-9456.

I work with older adults and I want bring a creative aging program to my facility…

This is terrific news. Check first with your state arts agency to see if that have any resources that can support your program, and then check Lifetime Arts’ National Teaching Artist Roster to see if there is an artist nearby that can help you start a program! Looking for more resources or training? Please feel free to call NCCA at 202-895-9456.